A leading source for news and analysis about Mexico and the U.S.-Mexican border.
The Punta Colonet port project in Baja California was canceled on Friday by the Mexican government. The Communications and Transportation Ministry said market conditions have changed to the extent that it is no longer feasible. The decision came a day before the inauguration of Enrique Peña Nieto as president.
Fomer Gov. Ernesto Ruffo had been part of the team trying to get the project built. In an appearance at the University of San Diego earlier this year while the National Action Party politician was waging his successful campaign to become a federal senator, he had said that if elected he would work to make the project a reality.
Update, Dec. 10, 2012: Columnist Antonio Magaña wonders why a project that was already dead wound up being officially canceled. Comment at bottom of his column, in Frontera (PDF).
The Punta Colonet proposal will be taken up again during the six-year gubernatorial administration of Francisco Vega, the Baja California state economic development agency Sedeco says. Federal Sen. (and former governor) Ernesto Ruffo, who has had a financial interest in the project, has also said the project is not dead. Story, El Mexicano (PDF).
Story on federal government canceling project.