A leading source for news and analysis about Mexico and the U.S.-Mexican border.
The bodies of eight people killed in Monterrey and discovered at an intersection around 6 a.m. Thursday were identified. All the bodies had stamps showing they had been patrons at the Bar La Eternidad, as did the body of unidentified woman found nearby. Authorities late Thursday detained more than 150 people in the bar and took them in buses to a state police station for questioning.
• Brothers Juan José Trejo García, 22, taxi driver and
• Rubén Eduardo Trejo García, 26, driver
• Juan Manuel Martínez Galaviz, 29, taxi driver
• Diego Guadalupe Ruiz, 26, taco maker
• Luis Enrique Arce Chávez, 25, taco maker
• Saúl Ezequiel Cruz Facundo, 23, market worker
• Brayan Martín Garza Santos, 18, high school student
• José de Jesús Bermúdez Briones, 18, unemployed
Most lived in the Escobedo and San Nicolás neighborhoods.
Update, Jan. 30: Milenio reports that three women were killed. They were identified as Bertha Verónica López Palomo; and Verónica Jessica Cortez and Ilse Jazmín Valverde Flores of the Fomerrey 106 neighborhood.
The state human rights commission was investigating whether those detained had their rights violated.
Fernando Ocegueda Flores,
president of the Association of the United for the Disappeared of Baja California, said the group had received permission from federal authorities to interview prisoners who had been involved in kidnapping. The group hopes the interviews will help families of disappeared victims of crime discover the location of the remains of their loved ones. Many of the prisoners the families want to interview are incarcerated in Nayarit state. However, a first round of interviews and interview attempt did not lead to much information. One prisoner said he would only talk if he were moved to a prison in his home state of Sinaloa, the group said. Lawyers for many prisoners also did not allow their clients to talk to group members, the group said. Story, Frontera (PDF).
Previous mention of El Mexicano editorial about the group's complaints.
The military found two tons of marijuana in a boat at Ensenada's Saldomando beach. The boat appeared ready to go to sea. There were no arrests, Frontera newspaper reported. Story, Frontera (PDF). Story, El Mexicano. Story has report on detentions and seizures for the month. (PDF).
Eight people were killed in Monterrey and their bodies left in the street on Thursday, while three people were killed in a bar in Nazahualcóyotl in Mexico state. Meanwhile, former Monterrey goalie Omar "El
Gato" Ortiz Uribe was bound over for trial in a kidnapping case. Stories, Frontera (PDF).
Story on Monterrey slayings, El Mexicano (PDF). Jump.
Editor's note: Thursday's slayings perhaps highlight a point made in a speech in Tijuana on Wednesday by political analyst Gabriel Guerra Castellanos (right): He said despite its increased violence in recent years, Mexico still has a murder rate far below that of many other Latin American countries. The perception of violence in Mexico is often that it is greater, however, because of the number of headline-grabbings massacres that have taken place.
Story on Guerra Castellanos' speech.
Otis Vernell Holland, a minister sought in Nevada child sex abuse cases, has been detained in Tijuana. He appeared in San Diego court on Friday, where he waived extradition to Nevada. Story, El Mexicano (PDF). Jump. Story, Frontera (PDF). Story,10News.
Two woman and a man were killed in a Playas de Tijuana house where drugs were found, authorities said. A 10-month-old baby was found unhurt in the residence. Story, Frontera (PDF).
The trial in Chicago for alleged drug trafficker Vicente "El Vicentillo" Zambada Niebla has been pushed back from Feb. 13 to Oct. 9 by federal Judge Ruben Castillo. The judge said the trial may be delayed further because alleged Sinaloa Cartel lieutenant Felipe Cabrera Sarabia, who is charged in the same indictment as Zambada Niebla, has been arrested. Cabrera Sarabia's extradition is being sought. Zambada Niebla, the son of Sinaloa cartel operative Ismael "el Mayo" Zambada García, claims charges against him should be dismissed because he made an immunity deal to provide information to the Drug Enforcement Administration. Prosecutors have challenged that allegation. Story in Frontera (PDF). Agence France-Press story.
August story on Zambada Niebla's DEA allegations.
U.S. Judge Royce Lambert appeared likely to grant U.S. prosecutors more time to build their case against alleged Zetas member Julián "El Piolin" Zapata Espinoza, a suspect in the Feb. 15 slaying of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforecement agent Jaime Zapata (no relation) on a Mexican highway. The next hearing was set for April 25. The judge said, however, that if Mexico does not provide more cooperation in the case, he may send the suspect back to Mexico. The suspect was captured by Mexican security forces shortly after the slaying and was extradited to the U.S. in December. Notimex story, El Mexicano (PDF). Associated Press story.
Zapata Espinoza charged in December (L.A. Times)