A leading source for news and analysis about Mexico and the U.S.-Mexican border.
Lawyer Alberto Escourido of the Grupo 100 por Tijuana says he is planning to file a $70 million lawsuit against the Mexican government for its destruction of the Concha building complex and pedestrian overpass at the San Ysidro border crossing in Tijuana known on the Mexican side as "Puerta Mexico." He said the loss of this icon, built in 1965, is a tremendous blow for Tijuana and for tourism.
A government sign at the site says the work taking place is going to mean more vehicle lanes going into the United States and a shorter wait to cross the border. Escourido (shown being interviewed in front of the demolition taking place on Feb. 21) took issue with this, saying the real key is how many Customs and Border Patrol agents the United States puts on duty on any given day to move vehicles through.
On Friday, Feb. 27, Escourido said a judge denied a petition to stop the demolition, and he said almost 100% of the structure had been taken down. He said the next step before a lawsuit to be filed against the three levels of government will be a March 24 hearing where "the Transportation and Communications Ministry has to justify the demolition."
A view of the destruction of La Concha as seen from the west on Feb. 21, 2015.
This Mexican government map, located near where the view from the west photo
above was taken, shows an aerial view of La Concha before its teardown. It is located beneath the words Puerta Mexico, and between the red lines showing the route for pedestrians following the opening of the San Ysidro east pedestrian crossing.
Jan. 14 U-T San Diego story by Sandra Dibble on the controversy involving the Concha crossing.