A leading source for news and analysis about Mexico and the U.S.-Mexican border.
Gov. José Guadalupe Osuna Millán handed out 20 achievement awards on Wednesday in Mexicali as part of a ceremony marking the 61st anniversary of Baja California as a state.
Those receiving the awards were:
• Reginaldo Martín Esquer
Félix, for his educational and business leadership
• Gabriel Trujillo, for his writing
• Luz Elena Picos, for her altruistic journalism
• Juan Manuel Roberto Castro Torres, for his founding of the Fundación Castro Limón, which helps child cancer victims
• Javier Plascencia, noted chef and restaurateur
• Luis Antonio "El Abuelo" Álvarez Murillo, championship archer
• Ana Lilia Durán Ayón, championship weight lifter
• Andrea Gómez Gómez, gymnastics judge
• Jacqueline Nava Mouett, championship boxer
• Gustavo Vildósola Ramos, Baja 1,000 champion and businessman
• The Reik musical group (singer Jesús Alberto Navarro
Rosas, guitarrist Julio Ramírez Eguía and electric guitarrist Gilberto "Bibi" Marín
• Federico Weber Ponce de León, former director of Televisa Mexicali
• Pablo Brizuela Amador, director of first FM state in Mexicali, "Stereorey" and director of Mvs and Micanal 44; • Héctor Terán Terán, former governor who died in office in 1998
• Hugo D'costa, wine expert and founder of Monte Xanic
• Maricarmen Flores, longtime Televisa reporter
• Héctor Sada Quiroga, created Baja California cotton mill in Mexicali Valley and philanthropist
• Mario Terán del Río, businessman
• Rodolfo Fierro Márquez, agriculturist in Mexicali Valley
• Carolina Aubanel Riedel, Tijuana TV executive
Story, Frontera (PDF).
Story, El Mexicano (PDF).