A leading source for news and analysis about Mexico and the U.S.-Mexican border.
A Mexican Attorney General's Office report says eight cartels are operating in Mexico.
• Pacific Cartel, led by Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán, Ismael "El Mayo" Zambada y Juan José "El Azul" Esparragoza Moreno, "El Azul". Reported presence in Canada, U.S.,
Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Belize, Ecuador, Costa
Rica, Colombia, Perú, Chile, Argentina and Venezuela.
• Gulf Cartel, with leadership unknown following last week's arrest of Jorge Eduardo "El Coss" Costilla. Reported presence in U.S., Guatemala, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia and Bolivia.
• The Zetas, led by Heriberto "El Lazca" Lazcano and Miguel Ángel "Z-40" Treviño
Morales. Reported presence in U.S., Guatemala, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Bolivia, Belize, Costa Rica and Peru.
• Arellano Félix Cartel, led by Fernando Sánchez Arellano, aka "El Ingeniero" or "El Alineador", nephew of the cartel founders. It has a much-reduced presence in Tijuana as the Pacific Cartel has made major inroads there. Reported Arellano Félix presence in U.S., Peru.
• "La Familia Michoacana", led by Dionicio Loya Plancarte. Reported presence in U.S., Colombia, Costa Rica y Guatemala
• "Los Caballeros Templarios", or Knights Templar, led by Servando "La Tuta" Gómez Martínez, and Enrique "El Quique" Solís Plancarte. Breakoff group from "La Famila Michoacana" has a reported presence in the U.S.
• Beltrán Leyva Cartel, led by Héctor "El H" Beltrán Leyva and Francisco "El 2000" Hernández García.
• Juarez Carel, led by Vicente "El Viceroy" Carrillo Fuentes. Reported presence in U.S., Colombia, Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama and Argentina.